Saturday 14 July 2012

Les Atelier des Chefs

What a day! My wonderful friends, Hazel, Jess and Katie bought me a cookery class for my birthday. There was a range of classes that I could have taken but I chose to take the pasta making class, as I've always wanted to make pasta, but have been particularly scared of it!

The class was at Les Atelier des Chefs on Wigmore, by Oxford circus. As soon as I walked in, I had a good feeling. In front of me was a group of people (the class before) sat round a big table eating and drinking. There was lots of laughter and the gorgeous desserts they were eating looked and smelt wonderful!

Whilst waiting for the class to start, I was given a glass of wine and spent some time looking through their shop, where they stock amazing, but very pricey, kitchen equipment. My hubby and I both have an obsession with ceramic knives, which is strange because hubby doesn't care about anything in the kitchen. However, he does like his knives. They had a wonderful range of ceramic knives, but they were quite expensive so was very restrained and didn't purchase.

There were 12 of us in the class, and everyone was really nice and friendly. Our chef teacher, Andrew, immediately started talking us through the ingredients. We're going to make fresh tagliatelle, smoked haddock ravioli and 2 sauces to accompany: wild mushroom cream sauce and a pesto sauce.

It was a 2 hour class, so we weren't all going to make every component ourselves, but we all shared out the jobs. Our chef teacher was great and talked us though everything and was really patient!

Best thing I learnt - how to take the fish fillet off the skin with the sweep of the nice!

Next weekend, one of my tasks will be to go get a pasta machine - i couldn't believe how easy pasta actually into make. I mean, I know that I haven't done it myself yet and it will be very difficult, and messy, but I can't wait!

For anyone who wants to learn any new skills, I would recommend Les Atelier des Chefs. For anyone that works near Oxford circus or St Paul's, they also do lunchtime and evening dinner class! Genius!

No comments:

Post a Comment